Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ok fine!

Yikes, it's been two weeks since I've whined about how tired I am. I've gotten the question from several people, "How is B sleeping?" I like to think people are really worried about my exhaustion levels and sympathetic but I suspect it's more of the train wreck phenomenon. Regardless, I have been afraid to answer that question publicly.

It's baseball playoff season, (almost soccer!) and not blogging about B's sleeping habits has been my playoff beard. I thought it was better than wearing the same shirt and regardless it seems to have been effective so far. For absolutely no reason, B has decided that he will sleep until 8 am most days rather than 6 am. As icing on the cake, (I am reworking this expression as icing is definitely the main event and cake is a nice addition.) he has also started waking up way less often at night and without any crying or uncontrollable screaming. (<-- See? Sleeping better is the best part, aka the icing, and sleeping in, aka the cake, allows me precious alone time in the morning since I am up with the farmers anyways.)

The most important parenting lesson I've learned over the past year is to not try to find patterns. I am reading Nate Silver's book right now, which discusses the fact that humans have evolved to do just the opposite, so this is nearly impossible. Our fancy brains receive way too much information to actually process so we have to group it somehow. Mr. Silver's point is that this makes us bad statisticians since we see patterns where there are none and since we are making them up anyways, we tend to see the patterns that we want to see. He says we need to overcome this in order to solve the world's problems (or something like that, I'm only on the first chapter).

My thesis will no doubt be much more helpful to mankind so pay close attention. Here it is: when your baby sleeps well you are to look at it as an unexpected and wonderful gift from the universe and not as a momentous portent of great things to come.

Nate Silver is so right though, and isn't he always? Even as I sit here writing this I am getting excited about all the progress B has made and about our bright and well-rested future. This can only end in disappointment. Perhaps the silver lining (hahaha) is that FiveThirtyEight's election forecasts can likely be trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment