Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What does peanut butter have to do with babies?

Everything. I'll explain.

I've been asked by a few people why I named my blog Peanut Butter Spoonfuls when the topic is actually my fetus. In a nutshell (haha!), I credit peanut butter with getting this far in life and I am confident that it will play a large role in fully growing this little boy. I've basically been a vegetarian since I was born. My mom tried sneaking a few meat products in here or there but I wasn't having any of it. I would like to say that it was my innate sense of morals as a newborn that drove me to be this way but in fact I was just really annoyingly picky. To say I was a vegetarian doesn't tell the whole story as that term implies that one simply omits a single category of food. In fact it is more descriptive to list the foods I actually included. With few exceptions I subsisted on Cheerios (dry since I hated milk), apples (only peeled), PB&J (with the crust cut off, only creamy PB, and only grape jelly), frozen peas (don't ask), and Dannon lime flavored yogurt. Given this list, it is basically a miracle that I grew to childbearing age and a full adult height, spare me the short jokes. It can only be due to my two sole protein sources, one of which was peanut butter. Thank you Skippy! Guess my mom wasn't a choosy mom...



Although I started working more foods in over time, peanut butter has remained a staple. I love it so much that I see no need to have a platform for it. Although it's tasty on bread, apples, bananas, waffles, ice cream, etc. I feel that it is best enjoyed straight out of a jar with only a spoon, or in desperate times a finger, to carry it to my mouth. These days I'm trying harder to get the proper amounts of proteins and vitamins since I feel like my baby shouldn't suffer from my neuroses at least until he's born and has me as a mother. As such, I've upped my intake of eggs, cheeeeeeese, nuts, veggie burgers, beans, etc. but peanut butter remains the star of my protein repertoire.  We've come a long way together creamy Skippy.

Here is the result of many many spoonfuls.
18weeks. No idea what I'm looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment