Soon enough we were called back to the exam room and I was allowed to use the ladies' room. Feeling relieved (haha) we finally met our doctor! He was awesome and really friendly. He plopped down in the chair and said "So, you're pregnant?" My response was "Well I think so..." It still doesn't feel completely real to me that there is a little human in there. He talked with us about all the do's and don'ts, flattered me by raving about my perfect health, and further buttered me up by telling me that there was in fact no max heart rate for pregnant women. He said I could run and work out as long as I listened to my body and I didn't need to be stressed out about hurting the baby. Yay!
Then came the moment we were waiting for! He took out the Doppler so we could listen to the heartbeat. He explained that sometimes it takes a little while to find and we shouldn't freak out. Well as soon as the wand touched me we heard a thump thump sound! It was amazing! I'm still not sure I fully comprehend that there is a little baby with its own beating heart in there but while we were listening to it beat away it started to feel more real. The doctor said the heartbeat was really strong and that it was a great sign! He also agreed with me that the baby was likely to grow up to be a great runner. Clearly the man is used to dealing with female patients that like to be humored.
After the appointment, they sent us away with a bunch of samples of baby products and pregnancy magazines etc. It was 90% junk from various product reps but included in there was a little Huggies newborn diaper with Winne the Pooh print. Oh.my.god. it was adorable. I couldn't get over how SMALL that thing was. It also sort of hit me at that point that not only was I pregnant but we were having a BABY! Then I cried. Yep, totally fine the first time we heard our baby's heartbeat but I lost it over a diaper.
No comments:
Post a Comment