Thursday, February 24, 2011

Time Stands Still

Patience is a virtue, they say.  It just doesn't happen to be one of my virtues. I'm finding this unfortunate because it turns out this whole pregnancy thing is just a series of waiting games. Of course I'm dying for it to be September but luckily there are little things along the way to look forward to as well.

At first I was just looking forward to our first appointment and counting the days. It was great and exciting and already later that night I was on to the next thing. Now I'm anxiously awaiting our first ultrasound next Thursday. Mainly I'm looking forward to it because we'll get to see the little nugget but part of me is also hoping they'll take a guess at the gender.  They say boys and girls look very similar at 12 weeks but that an experienced technician can take an educated guess. (Sorry to my future child for discussing your nether regions on the internet!)

Given my inability to wait on all things baby related, or really just on all things, I fell victim to a bit of a scam. They sell these gender prediction tests in drug stores that claim if you pee in a cup that contains their proprietary cocktail of chemicals, they can tell you the gender of your baby. The chemicals turn green for a boy and orange for a girl. I'm not aware of any science to back this up or anything that's in your pee that contains your baby's genetic material but it was something to do. The marketers claim it's 90%, independent studies claim it's 80%, and angry people that write reviews on Amazon claim it is probably 50% accurate. The majority of the reviewers online, in fact, claim that the test was wrong for them. I find it hard to believe the test could actually be less than 50% accurate since if that was the case they would just market a coin flip technology instead, but nonetheless those are the stats. To cut to the chase, I took the test and here are the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment