Monday, May 9, 2011

Littlest Patriot

This week, I've journeyed back to my homeland to enjoy some time with friends and family before no one cares about seeing me and only cares about the baby. Of course it's been wonderful so far and I know it will continue to be since I love everything about this city and its people. If I may make the world's most obvious statement, the only thing I don't miss is the traffic.

I am proud to report that there seems to be another person, a very little person, who loves everything about this city. The story of how I discovered this actually starts before I even got to DC. G and I were lightly dozing in front of the TV at what felt like a very late hour but was actually 9 pm when I was awoken by the buzzing of my phone. My brother was telling me to turn on the news.  It's really impossible for me to care about anything 2 seconds after being so rudely awoken but I will say I came to amazingly quickly when I saw that the president was about to announce that we killed bin Laden. I woke G up and we were riveted for the next hour. I'll spare you my thoughts and feelings on the topic since this isn't a political blog. U-S-A! U-S-A! We got the b*stard! Oh oops, sorry, I couldn't help it. Since no one can get annoyed at or offended by a cute little baby, however, I am happy to share his reaction. Baby danced like it was 1999 (and like he knew what that was). I had never felt him move that much before and never since. It was as if Obama's words were fetus crack. I think he knew what a big moment it was and I think he was letting us know how proud he was of the work his family does. I also think he was expressing interest in joining the family business and living in DC some day. Yes, in fact, I believe he said he wanted to move there immediately and stay there for the rest of his life. Not to disappoint, I landed with my little dancer a few short days later.


This baby is due to arrive on 9/12/11 but if he's anything like me he will be a stickler for promptness and a firm believer that if you aren't a little bit early then you are late. I'll admit I haven't been thrilled at the prospect of him being born on the 10th anniversary of September 11th. It doesn't really seem like a fun birthday for a kid nor does it seem like a day to celebrate anything. Maybe it won't be so bad though. It could become a happy way to mark the day and maybe will serve as a way to convey to my little protege the importance of protecting the country he obviously already loves. Sniff sniff!
Yes, that's a maternity shirt you see. The patriot is literally bulging with pride at 22 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment