Monday, May 2, 2011

Reverse Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Over the years I've sort of gotten used to being a certain size. It helps that I attained my full adult height at the age of 13, but I've really grown accustomed to waking up and looking about the same as I did when I went to sleep. It has come to my attention that I should no longer expect this to be the case.

When I first found out I was pregnant I expected to immediately balloon and grow an enormous belly. I had never really thought about how small fetuses start out, which was admittedly a bit of an oversight. FYI- there is no fruit small enough to describe their initial size so the iPhone apps go with poppyseed. As the weeks went by and I could still wear my normal clothes I just figured that belly thing was for the birds and I would never grow very big. This was an equally absurd and unreasonable conclusion. My lack of mental acuity over these past few months has led me to be surprised twice. For a good 3 months I expected to be enormous and was surprised every day when I was still normal sized. Now I expect to be somewhat normal size yet grow more enormous every day.

Shirt I think I can wear vs. shirt I actually can wear
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the way this all works and am glad my fetus is finally a cute enough fruit. (You can't cuddle a poppyseed!) It's really only a problem when I try to dress myself. I gaze into my closet and my sense of self proportion, that I've spent years honing, tells me I will fit in a particular shirt. I try to sausage myself into said shirt and the result is comical. I was going to post a picture of a recent fitting session but they all came out tragically unflattering so you'll have to imagine me in the outfit for yourself. I tried wearing one of those amazingly soft Urban Outfitters t-shirts that I love so dearly and although the shirt is still soft, it isn't as cute when it barely comes down over my belly button and the print on the front is stretched to the point of distortion.
21 week bump and look of surprise

I also want to say a huge thanks to my awesome sis-in-law, Kim, for all the shirts for me to wear and TONS of clothes and supplies for baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment