I've always loved Christmas, how can you not? Do you hate babies and puppies too? I'm actually a cat person so I ease my guilt of not adoring puppies by overdoing it on Christmas.
 |
| "I have no idea why we're doing this but oh my god it is so exciting." |
I know every kid loves Christmas but I reeeeally loved it growing up. I would dress up in my full Santa suit, beard on, and set my alarm for the middle of the night to go lay out the presents. (My innocence was shattered at a very early age when my mom told me the truth about the jolly fat man.) As if the outfit wasn't enough, I would always leave very compelling evidence Santa had been there. I ate the cookies and the carrots for the reindeer of course but that wasn't enough. I'd leave a little piece of my outfit snagged on the fireplace and sprinkle a few ashes around where I had walked. (Sorry Mom!) "Aww that's so sweet," you are thinking, "she did all of that for her younger siblings. How maternal!" Nope. I was the youngest by 6 years. I did it for myself. Now I picture everyone speaking in the Jim Gaffigan voice. "Oh that's so creepy. What is wrong with this girl? That's just not healthy to be so delusional so young." (P.S. we are going to see Jim Gaffigan when he comes to town!!!!!)
 |
| Those are Christmas stockings I'm wearing on my feet as I dance around with glee. |
Well flash forward 20-some years and here I am finally with someone younger than me in the family. Santa is back baby! I overzealously forced many traditions onto my unsuspecting family over the course of our 7 day celebration this year. To be fair, they actually were probably suspecting given my history.
We made a gingerbread house, blasted Christmas music, decorated cookies for Santa, had breakfast for dinner on Christmas Eve, opened one present each on Christmas Eve, ate absurd quantities of pie, etc. etc. Spirits were high all around except for one grinchy family member... Little B could not have been less into the festivities. He wouldn't give the gingerbread house the time of day, decorated zero cookies, napped through an hour of present opening, and slept through Christmas dinner. As if I didn't know it already, I was going through the Christmas motions solely for myself. At least we have some pictures of the forced festiveness.
 |
| Zoo Lights! He was actually into it for about 30 minutes so naturally we ruined it for him by staying for 60. |
 |
| This went far better than it could have. |
 |
| Representative indifference photo. |
 |
| At least he joined us at the table while he continued not caring. |
 |
| Somewhat into Christmas bedtime stories. "Mom, after this you'll leave me alone for a whole 12 hours right?" |
 |
| Prezzies!!! |
 |
| "Ooooh if there are toys in it for me I could like this a little." |
 |
| Aaaand back to hating the holidays. Merry Christmas! |
No comments:
Post a Comment