Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Then they do

I firmly believe that life can be summed up by one long iTunes playlist consisting of only country songs. The latest addition to my mental version of this list is below. Only listen if you need a good cry.

As I mentioned earlier, Benentt is QUITE the snuggler. A few days ago I was reading online mom forums (loser) and ran across a post by a kindred spirit. This mom was at her wit's end. Her little one demands to be held at all times, even sleeping. She said she can't get any housework done and it's impossible to sleep much herself. Of course there was a flurry of responses from well meaning moms with suggestions that clearly wouldn't work. Then one lady responded saying that her kids were 7 and 11 years old now and want no part of snuggling with her. She said she would give anything to have those days back for a little while and advised this mom to just enjoy it while it lasts because they grow up so fast. (Here I should mention that my body isn't supposed to be clear of the pregnancy hormones for another 2 weeks.) Well I immediately started sobbing and rushed myself to Bennett's room where he was actually taking a rare nap alone in his bouncy seat. I plucked him right out of there and proceeded to snuggle him for the next 2 hrs straight.

Additionally, numerous parents have told us that "the first 6 weeks are hell" and you just have to ride them out. Admittedly there have been times when he won't sleep or is fussing for an undiscoverable reason where I've found myself wishing I could fast forward to the 6 week mark so the heavens would part and angels would sing as promised. Eventually I realized that I was actually WISHING MY SON's LIFE AWAY. I now vow to cherish not only each and every snuggle but also the times when he's fussy or needs to eat and wakes me from a glorious dream about running again (2 more weeks!).*

In case you're wondering, I do realize the lack of self-awareness conveyed by this post as I am clearly drafting this rather than cuddling and cherishing. I'll have you know that as I lie here typing this on my phone Benny is comfortably sleeping draped across my chest. Cherishing while multi-tasking!

*I should say that I vow to try to cherish these times but sometimes my back hurts and I really want to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you just made me cry. I so wish that I would have had wise friends and relatives tell me that the snuggle time would disappear so fast. I was always busy doing this and that-that I sometimes forgot what was most important...snuggle time as much as possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you liked it! if you ever need a snuggle, come on over! i rent him out by the hour :)

    ReplyDelete