Thursday, January 26, 2012

Breaking up with my monitor

Ever since B started sleeping in his own room, which wasn't really all that long ago, I've had a bit of an unhealthy relationship with my video monitor. No matter where I am in the house I can not only hear my baby but can also confirm that his back is still rising and falling despite his new face-down sleeping position. This has to be one of the greatest inventions of our time.

Don't get me wrong, the partnership I've shared with this device hasn't been without its ups and downs but what relationship is perfect? Or so I thought? Occasionally the screen would freeze and I would have to reboot the system. Sometimes the receiver would lose a signal from the camera and again I would reboot. Recently the receiver started reporting that it wasn't charging properly but if I removed the battery it would somehow reset itself and start to charge again. These were just minor inconveniences and I figured there was some price to be paid for all of the wonderful things the monitor did for me.
source

It never even occurred to me that there might be monitors out there that didn't have these issues. I was simply so enamored with the great features that mine did have that I never stopped to think about all the wrongs I was being asked to suffer. So strong was my love for the system that I never Googled other products or considered replacing it. Even when times were tough I spent all my effort and energy trying to revive the monitor as I felt like I couldn't go on without it.

Well, like every girl in an unhealthy relationship, the only way I was getting out of this one was to be dumped. Mercifully that is finally what happened. My Slim and Secure Summer Infant Video Monitor finally gave out for good yesterday. Right now I'm working on picking myself up, licking my wounds, and moving on. This morning I spent a little bit of time browsing the inventories of Babies R Us and Amazon only to find that there really are plenty of other overpriced fish in the sea. There are monitors out there that you can rely on every night and will lovingly stay by your side for years and not just months! Not only that but I've read reviews of the Summer Infant monitors that parallel my own bad experiences. How eye opening this has been! It really isn't me, it's you! I am too good for this and I do not need to put up with constant rebooting and not charging.

I've gone ahead and set up a date with a Motorola Digital Video Video Monitor for this weekend. Wish me luck!
source


In case you are wondering, I would not recommend the Summer Infant Monitor to anyone. I'll report back with my feelings towards the Motorola.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about the Summer monitor! It's horrible!...but I was still in love with it for a long time. Looking forward to hearing about the Motorola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please keep testing all these products! Did you get the monitor that goes under the mattress to detect stopping breathing or heartbeat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gone there yet. I hear there are a lot of false alarms and I think my heart and breathing would immediately stop. Thankfully he lets us know he's alive lately by waking us up every couple hours...

      Delete