Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Starvation diagnosis

B had his 4 month checkup yesterday which mostly went swimmingly. The pediatrician told us we had the cutest, healthiest, and most developmentally advanced baby in his practice (in exchange for free soccer tickets). B again took his shots like a champ. He lapped up the oral vaccine with smiles and glee, didn't react at all to the first shot, and cried for only a few seconds at the second shot. This time I managed to stay tear free which was an even more impressive display of bravery.

I had my standard prepared list of questions which the pediatrician breezed through, blowing off my every concern. (Did this guy go to medical school with my OB I wonder??) He then raised a concern of his own. The doc said that B's weight gain was no longer on track for him to achieve sumo wrestler status by his first birthday and asked how often he was eating. The answer is: still very often. This combined with several other fat kid indicators led him to suggest that we start B on solid foods. Gasp. I am not ready!
B cried every time I took the spoon away to reload. He thought it was a magical cereal boob that would just keep shooting out food if he kept sucking.

My googling informs me that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend starting solids when...
-Your baby can hold his head and sit up with support. (Check! I pretend this is because he is strong and advanced but it's probably more due to tummy sleeping...)
-Your baby has doubled their birth weight. (Check!)
-Your baby weighs more than 15 lbs. (Check!)
-Your baby appears hungry after 8-10 feedings per day. (I suppose eating 13 times per day would be an indication that this one holds true.)
-Your baby shows interest in your food. (Check! But he also shows interest in putting towels, plastic bags, toys, phones, and computers in his mouth so I'm skeptical that this is an indicator.)

The heartbreaking conclusion I reached was that I am no longer enough for my little boy. He is moving on and is sure to find himself in the arms of another woman before I know it. I still plan to keep breastfeeding him for at least the first year, in addition to feeding him real food, in hopes that there is still time for him to form an unhealthy attachment to me rendering him unable to marry.
Please keep loving me! (Pardon the laundry piles.)

No comments:

Post a Comment