As I've complained about many times, I've had pretty bad back pain for some time now. I hurt my back somehow in Hawaii, probably on one of our intense hikes. Obviously I should have stuck to my guns and spent the entire two weeks at the swim up bar but it's too late for those regrets.
![]() |
| Site of the initial injury. I should look happier despite the pain b/c that is a delicious aspartame laden beverage in my hand. |
![]() |
| If only I did more of this... |
Needless to say the injury and pain have gotten progressively worse as my belly has grown and my joints have loosened. Yes, you read that right. Beginning in early pregnancy nature magically starts greasing your wheels and turning your skeleton to jello to prepare for all the growing and pushing out of a human. Great for survival of the species but not so much for spinal alignment.
My course of treatment thus far has been weekly massages. This sounds luxurious on the surface but really it's not. There are no bathrobes, scented candles, Enya music, relaxation, or even remote pleasure. Picture my massages more like those that occur at the end of marathons. People arrive exhausted and in pain, the massages hurt (so good), and you can only hope to walk away in slightly less pain than when you arrived. Even with the constant rub downs, the pain has been getting steadily worse. The times when I'm in bed in tears are growing more frequent. (I know, poor me. It's all worth it for the beautiful baby, etc. etc.)
![]() |
| If you're only as old as you feel, this could be a picture of me. source |
It's gotten so dire, in fact, that I decided to conquer one of my worst fears. I went to a chiropractor!! I know that's not impressive or remotely scary to anyone else but I couldn't possibly be more squeamish when it comes to spines. I have never in my entire life cracked my back and if anyone suggests it I practically pass out. I also have a firm belief that any chiropractic adjustments come with a high risk of paralysis. They are moving your spine after all. So far I've only been to one visit and aside from the diagnosis, including models of what is wrong with my spine and pelvis, that had me near fainting/vomiting-- it wasn't really that bad.
![]() |
| Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. source |
During this time I've received a lot of encouraging comments such as "back pain ALREADY!?" and "oh you know that is only going to get worse as you get bigger!!" Yeah I get it, thank you. I try to ignore the naysayers and console myself by thinking it's only temporary and that although it will get worse before it gets better there is an end in sight in September.
Well, getting back to where this story started, aforementioned friend who just had a baby was telling me she had some similar pains throughout her pregnancy. My excitement over commiserating was incredibly fleeting as seconds later she dropped the bomb that her pain not only didn't improve but arguably worsened after baby. I think I'll go lay in bed and spoon my ice pack while I cry. (I will be the little spoon obvi so the ice is on my back.)
![]() |
| 25 weeks of spinal torture. |
| In other news, we have an assembled crib! Someone was so focused on construction that he forgot to plan an exit strategy. |





No comments:
Post a Comment