Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A public apology

This past weekend, G and I celebrated the first weekend of spring (for Utah) by going for a hike in our lovely neighborhood canyon. After roughly a million days of straight rain the canyon is glowing green and all the flowers and trees are in full bloom, quite a rarity for what is supposed to be a desert. We weren't far into our journey when G started sniffling and sneezing up a storm.

This is where I have to admit that I have a bit of a long held prejudice against allergy sufferers. It's not that I think you've been making it up exactly just that it seems like it shouldn't be that big of a deal. What's a sneeze here and there!? Ok fine, I also might have told G that having allergies made him an evolutionary fluke and genetically weaker than I.

I don't know if it's because Utah's pollen spores are trying to condense a full season of torture into a 2 week spring or if karma finally got me but I think I'm allergic. Sniff. It really isn't that awesome. Having spent winter and what should have been spring cooped up inside longing for nice weather, I find it especially cruel. I now view the outdoors as a threat rich environment and I try to minimize my time spent breathing in these torturous spores.

Ok karma gods (are there karma gods? I don't really know how it works...) you've proven your point! I apologize to the seasonal allergy sufferers out there, you can now cure me and restore me to my genetically superior constitution.

Alternatively, is it possible for a fetus to make its mom allergic?? Doctors?? I'm guessing no.
Pollen forecast for June 9th. No wonder!
source 

No comments:

Post a Comment