Thursday, July 7, 2011

Highs and lows of the blood sugar variety

Another doctor's appointment in the books yesterday. This one was sort of a big deal as it was my gestational diabetes test. Every doctor seems to administer this cruelest of tests a little differently which I fail to understand so I'll describe my particular form of torture. I had to fast for 12 (yes 12!!!) hours. Horrible. Starting at 8 pm the night before the test (really 8:30 pm, I needed one last snack) I starved myself. Upon waking yesterday morning I had no idea what to do with myself besides pout over my lack of breakfast and coffee. Once the clock struck 7 am, I started guzzling the special sugar drink as prescribed. They say you have to finish it in 5 minutes and the way they say it implies that this will be very difficult. Nope! First of all the stuff was delish and second of all my body was accepting calories in any and all forms at that point. I finished in under 2 minutes. I could've done it faster but I stopped to breathe. I fully expected to feel sick or get the shakes or something but I actually felt fantastic.

Just a short, sugar-high-filled hour later I was at the doctor's office having my blood drawn. Since my actual appointment wasn't for another hour I had time to drink my coffee (which was conveniently in a travel mug in my left hand as they drew blood from my right arm). I also got a tasty breakfast at Whole Foods. Add a caffeine jolt to a sugar high and you will become convinced you can take on the world! I have literally never felt better in my life. I'm hoping this reaction isn't in fact hard evidence that I'm diabetic but for now I'm just happy I didn't suffer. Results should be back within the week.

Still flying high I headed back to the doctor's office for my official visit where G met me after being spared the early portion of the morning. As always it was an entertaining experience. First the doctor asked obligatory questions about how I was feeling before turning to G and asking the questions he really cares about (how the team is doing). All men are the same.

Anyways, every time you go in they measure your uterus (STILL gross) to make sure it's growing. This time my doctor pulled out his tape measure and went to work but seemed a little concerned. Cue internal panic! "Oh my god I knew it!!! He stopped growing!! Waaaa!" Then my doctor starts laughing and says "looks like you're running out of room in there!". Oh lovely.

Next came the part where I pull out my list of questions and he barely tolerates me. I told him I've been having weird pains lately where it feels like I've been riding a bike for hours (without those awesome padded diaper shorts). My doctor said it was normal and actually said "oh that just means things are starting to fall apart down there." I don't even know what to do with that one.

Lastly, I got clearance to go get a pedicure (my doc actually said he would prescribe it if he could!), made my next appointment, and we left. G was still waking up and I was hours into the greatest high of my life so we decided we needed breakfast (yes it was my 2nd but I fasted for 12 hrs). I ordered an enormous strawberry and chocolate chip scone covered with icing and the three bites I managed before finally feeling sick were amazing.

Not surprisingly I was DYING for some protein and vegetables later in the day. I promise the rest of my meals were nutritious and sugar-free. Today I still want lots of water, produce, and cheese. I guess I can't live off of pure sugar after all.

1 comment:

  1. I totally had a glucose drink too (from passing out from a blood drawing). It was lemon lime. Just like flat sprite...not too bad, but I can't believe you enjoyed the whole bottle.

    ReplyDelete