Saturday, July 16, 2011

Where he'll keep all his yesterdays

I really can't predict what will get my waterworks going these days. As far as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason to it and I can't even feel the emotional outbursts coming. They just hit me and are all consuming. Generally they pass as quickly as they arrived and I return to being stable, or as stable as ever.

My most recent moment of all encompassing emotion happened as I was driving home from a haircut. (See? Nothing special or especially touching.) I was jamming to the local country station and singing with the windows down like any normal girl does on a summer day. Montgomery Gentry's "My Town" came on and I cranked it up and sang a little louder. I crooned, "Yeah, this is my town. (Na, na, na, na, na.) Hey! Where I was born, where I was raised. Where I keep all my yesterdays." And then I lost it. I just started bawling.
It occurred to me that this place will be my little guy's "My Town". Although it's started to feel more like home to me here, DC will always be home-home for me. There's just something about the place you grow up that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and makes you feel at home in every way. Sigh. As I pulled into our garage I thought about how this house will always be special to this little guy. This is where he'll have his first memories, where we'll start fun Christmas and birthday traditions, where he'll learn to ride his bike in the driveway, etc. etc. Just realizing that made me feel instantly more at home here too. And then I cried again.
source

I picture our boy all grown up, looking back fondly on his childhood, and singing "My Town" as he drives his flying car with the windows down. Hopefully he won't instead be sitting on a therapist's couch, crying into a pillow, and describing how his mother ruined him for life beginning in his early days...

In case you want to give it a listen and have a good cry, here is the whole song.

No comments:

Post a Comment