Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Swollen insecurities

At my last appointment, my doctor examined my feet and told me that I should be ready to kiss my "bony ankles" goodbye. He assured me that over the next few weeks I would swell up like a sponge and that although uncomfortable it was normal. I sort of thought that if I wasn't a swollen mess by now that I had likely escaped that one particular aspect of pregnancy but his ominous warning came just in time.

Sure enough, at various times this week I've noticed that my wedding and engagement rings were getting a bit tight. I can still take them off with only mild straining so that's good for now. However, I really don't want them getting stuck so that they have to be cut off my doughy fingers. The logical thing to do is take them off now so that I can avoid this fate. I can't bring myself to do it though.

It's not for the reason you think. It's not that I'm beyond emotionally attached to the rings. Don't get me wrong, I think they're pretty and shiny and I love my husband dearly but I don't feel any less married to him if I don't have rings on. (I'm thinking this is the sign of a happy stable relationship hopefully?) My reason for not wanting to go ringless is mostly due to the fact that I fear other's judgment. Let's just say we don't live in the most open minded and liberal city in the world and I really would rather not get a bunch of judgey looks every time I'm in public. (Already happens when I buy beer for G at the grocery store!) I really would like to think that I am a strong and confident woman who is comfortable enough in myself to survive in this conservative culture but it turns out that is not the case. I am a middle school girl on the inside and I really want to dress like everyone else so they like me.

For now I'm taking a big risk and leaving the rings on. I'll have to decide how far I'm willing to go with my insecurities as some people apparently buy a fake ring in a bigger size to wear for the later swollen weeks. I hope G has more stable self esteem than I do and he won't think my $5 cubic zirconia ring from Claire's says he's less of a man than those guys who get their wives real diamonds.
too much?
source 

2 comments:

  1. Confession: When I lived in Houston, and went to buy something that "only married people should buy" I totally wore a random ring.
    Crazy ? Maybe, but I totally get what you're doing :). Get a zircon. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you. and now i have to know exactly what you were buying...?

    ReplyDelete