Monday, August 1, 2011

The finalish preparations

I am not ashamed to admit that I subscribe to far too many pregnancy update services. Every Monday, as I begin a new week of pregnancy, my email inbox and iPhone are bombarded with messages. These weekly gems tell me what is happening with the baby this week (he's getting fat), how big he is (20ish inches and almost 5 lbs) , how I am feeling (huge and tired, thanks for letting me know), and what I should be doing to prepare (a lot).

Somehow in the recent weeks I have transitioned from updates that tell me how uncomfortable I'm about to be to updates telling me all of the steps I need to be taking now to prepare for the impending birth and homecoming of my kid. Eek! Although it still seems early to me, they say I am supposed to be installing the car seat, packing my hospital bag, and preparing and freezing meals to eat after he's born. I have a few thoughts on each of these "major preparations". Generally speaking people make way too big of a deal about this stuff but I'm sort of starting to get why. This last stretch is long and torturous and I have a feeling women will do anything to give themselves the impression that they must rush around preparing because the birth is right around the corner.

Installing the Car Seat
This is obviously of the utmost importance. I can't tell you the last time I had 5 passengers in my car requiring use of the back middle seat so I don't see any reason to not do this early. Also I am my father's daughter and value safety so I will clearly be taking both cars to the professionals to inspect our installation jobs. If I could wrap my kid in antibacterial padding for his entire life I would.

Packing the Hospital Bag
Ok, this one is kind of dumb. People need to stop obsessing over what needs to be in your little roller bag. You are only going to the hospital for a few days!!! They provide shampoo and although it sucks it probably won't burn your hair off in one wash. They also provide robes for you to wear and guess what? You don't have to clean them. If I see one more "packing list" that tells me to pack a nice outfit and makeup so that I'll look good in all of the pictures I will scream. I have absolutely no shame about looking like sh*t post child-birth. Consider it my contribution to the anti-airbrushing movement. Why should we set expectations of glamor in this particular scenario? I also can't imagine that a fresh shirt and mascara is going to fool anyone anyways.

I miiiiiiight, however, be somewhat excited about the "coming home" outfit I'm packing for the baby. I know it's not a big deal and we are just driving him 2 miles so that he can sleep and puke on himself in our house instead of in the hospital but the poor thing has been naked his whole life up to this point. He deserves to wear something adorable when he arrives home for the first time. Plus it's like I'll finally have a real life doll that I can dress up however I want to!!! Am I not supposed to say that?
*not the actual outfit
source 

Freezer Meals
Given that I don't cook on a regular basis I'm definitely not cooking in advance for September and October. I feel bad for all of those people out there that think the only way to have frozen meals in your freezer is to prepare them yourself. There is an entire section at the grocery store devoted to just this!!! I have most definitely started stockpiling frozen pizzas and take-out menus.
34 weeks and hungry for frozen pizza

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. god i love this post. esp the part about looking good for the pics and frozen meals. I, also, I have discovered that you can BUY frozen food, and I'm not even having a baby! :)

    ReplyDelete