You know what I wasn't ready for? The birthday cry. Is this a thing? If it is, no one told me and I was drastically unprepared.
The day was going fine and we were doing all the things that first-time parents should. We invited way too many people, drastically over-prepared with food and drink, and had a fight about whether the NFL games should be the main event of the shindig. Once the party started I figured we would just kick back and enjoy it, our struggles were over.
Then came time to dig into the cupcakes. All of the parents were dutifully telling their little ones they could not have cupcakes until we sang to the birthday boy (who of course didn't care) so we gathered everyone around for his big moment. All of a sudden I felt that ugly cry face creep up on me. "What? What am I crying at??" I thought. "My baby!! My baby isn't a baby anymore, he is turning 1!" "Oh shut up, his real birthday isn't even for another week, he is still a baby." "Yeah, but, not really, sniff."
I argued with myself while trying to keep it together as everyone gathered to sing. I was afraid I wasn't going to make it and I was going to be the only mom ever to lose it at a birthday party. I couldn't make eye contact with anyone for the entire song. I had to keep my head down and focus on holding back the flood.
I think I was successful and luckily I got to analyze my performance 40 times since that is how many times B has made us all watch this video so far. At least somebody enjoyed it.
I tried 1000000 times to upload the video here but @#$%*&ing CenturyLink will not let me.
Awww! I get teary eyed thinking about my baby boy turning 1 and it is still 2 months away. It is a big deal when they turn one. It's like they are at this in between baby and toddler stage. Happy 1st birthday to him! :)
ReplyDeleteSorry we missed the birthday song....Just to make you feel better...every time and I mean every time one of my kids have a birthday and we sing to them-I get Teary Eyed...Never has stopped and probably never will. Thanks for a great 1st birthday event!
ReplyDeleteOk, thank you both for making me feel normal! Maybe the birthday cry is a thing and I just didn't know!?
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is two and I still cry over her milestones. They grow up too fast. Parenthood seems to make time speed up and stand still at the same time!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely be shedding some tears when Alidia turns 1!! I can't even think about it as it makes me sad to realize just how much she is growing up and way too quickly!!
ReplyDelete