Friday, September 21, 2012

I called 911

Well I know I said I was thinking about hanging up my blogging keyboard but the universe had something else in mind. The events of yesterday are too good not to share. Just be warned when you first read this story you will think, "Umm, actually this is horrible..." You will be correct but the ending is happy and sort of funny.

Yesterday started like all of my other days as supermom. I managed to get out of bed. I also managed to drive B and myself to music class, or at least the parking lot. I rummaged around preparing my diaper bag supplies, made sure I had my car keys securely zipped in the inside pocket, locked the car door, and (OH SHIT!) closed the door. Not only did I forget my entire bag, keys included, inside my secured vehicle but I also forgot MY CHILD.

PANIC PANIC PANIC OMGOMGOMG.

I tried all of the doors, like maybe just this one time the power lock system had failed. Nope. B could see me through the windows and commenced screaming. My first thought was to break the window. My second thought was that I actually have no idea how to break the window. My third thought was to call G. I hung up before it even started ringing once I realized he and my spare car key were on the east coast.

I tried to be rational. What would a rational person do?? How am I supposed to know that!!??

Last time I locked my keys in my car I didn't have a kid yet but I did have a AAA membership and the guy came right out and saved me. Maybe that would work again! I called the local AAA office thinking I would outsmart the automated system that would surely re-route me to the mid-Atlantic office based on my area code (how I could be completely panicking and think of this I don't know). Of course I reached a machine that invited me to press 1 for... well, I never found out what for because I hung up. I didn't have time to talk to a machine. My kid was screaming and it had to be hot in there. PANIC PANIC PANIC.

What do people do when they are panicking?? Cry! Yes I did that. Then I called 911. I thought surely this was an overreaction, as I am prone to overreacting, but at the time I didn't care. I needed my baby out and I didn't care if they yelled at me for abusing emergency services.

Proving again that I have no idea what is an over- or under-reaction, the nice man on the phone calmly told me that I would be #1 on the priority list since this was a true emergency and the nearest police officer would be on his way immediately. Did this calm me down? Nooooo. Now that I knew it was a true emergency and I should have called 911 sooner, I sobbed and called my mom.

Before my emotions could really spiral out of control the nice police officer pulled into the parking lot, looked at my car, said in a slightly judgmental tone "ah, this should be a piece of cake", and opened the door to my thief's dream car. I grabbed my screaming baby in my arms, and sobbed out apologies. He stopped screaming immediately when I released him from his chains. He didn't care at all about my reticence but just wanted to go and see the nearby trees. Luckily he was totally unscathed and still a nice normal baby temperature. I thanked the officer, made a mental note to forgive my last encounter with an officer which resulted in a speeding ticket, and we headed in for music class only 2 minutes late.

Later that day I texted my friend who I consider supermom, hoping she would tell me this was normal and happens to everyone. Instead she replied "Oh, that was you?? I heard about that on Facebook." She even provided evidence. I hate Facebook.


10 comments:

  1. Just so you know Hilary....I locked Skyler in the running car as a 2 and a 4 year old. Each time there was an infant with him. Each time it was winter and the heater was on...and each time all 3 of the children survived! The County Sheriff department informed me that if I did it one more time that they might have to turn in this "super mom PTA president..." Yep I am pretty sure that I did it at least 7 times throughout my kids childhood. You might not want to let me take B anywhere in a car...love you!!! T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Teresa, I guess that makes me feel better except I hope I don't find myself in trouble with the law too! I'm getting you a keypad entry for your birthday so your grandaughters are safe with you ;)

      Delete
  2. So glad baby is safe!! Can't believe you made facebook news, and the poster was identified!

    Maybe in those 5 minutes that "musta felt like a lifetime," rando facebook commenter could've come over and helped instead of updating his/her status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! So scary but definitely worth a 911 call to get him out... good thing they were able to make it there so quickly! I have this fear oddly quite often, and always keep my own door open until I open Alidia's incase the locking system messes up... especially as in our heat, 5 minutes in a closed car would have her sweating a ton!!

    Too funny about the Facebook part!!!

    So glad it had a happy ending! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely implementing the one door open at all times policy! Now I just need to not screw it up... We were lucky not to have the kind of heat you guys do, give Alidia her own set of keys just in case!

      Delete
  4. OMG!!! I would have been a basket case and sobbing as well. Glad everything turned out o.k. I have not actually done that myself, but I have had many, many other equally stellar moments as a mom.:-)
    BTW, I currently hate facebbok too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Hopefully my stupidity will save you from ever locking your keys in the car. I guess if you ever do it would be a good thing if your boys are in the car since they could just unlock the door for you!

      Delete
  5. Ok, that sucks! Look on the bright side. Um... Um... You are going to keep blogging!! I'm really sorry that must have been horrifying. i would loose ot with Ollie screaming at me through a locked car.

    as a horrible feel good gift, I'm sending a Sunshine Award your way. ;) x www.firsttimemomanddad.com

    ReplyDelete