Monday, September 24, 2012

The worst night ever

It takes a lot for me to say this and it might not even be true, but Saturday night was at least top 10. We have been up almost every hour since returning from DC which has been somewhat manageable surprisingly. I though that was about as bad as things would get. Note to self: never ever think this as it is possible to silently jinx things with only the power of thought.

Saturday night was plain awful. What is going on? I don't know!! B was up every 30 minutess last night and not happy about any of them. Rather than just wanting a boob to go back to sleep he would scream, as if in pain, and writhe and not be able to settle. Sometimes a binky helped but usually boobs were needed. I have not experienced this sort of pain since having a newborn and I am now thankful that newborns don't have teeth.

I guess the constant nursing and, ahem, chewing, is indicative of teething? I really want to believe it's teething and that he's getting 12 teeth, or however many are left, and then they will all pop through and we'll be finished and he'll sleep 12 hrs straight every night.

In reality land I'm not even sure if it's even remotely dentally related. Sometimes with the writhes there were farts (see? this is what I'm worried is going to embarrass him later but I'm too tired and desperate for answers.) He hasn't had dairy for a couple of months, which stopped the whole waking up screaming and writhing in pain thing. I gave him TWO BITES of yogurt dip on Friday night, could that be the cause?? Does it take 24 hours to upset his tummy? I am skeptical. Otherwise he hasn't eaten anything weird. In fact he's mostly boycotting eating in general.

He seemed like he wasn't going to be happy no matter what so at one point I sleepily summoned G (who stayed up most of the night "working"/staying away from the train wreck) and demanded that he take B away. Oh the wails. It was like he might never see me again. Not sure how long that panic went on, 30 minutes maybe, but I'll confess I felt little sympathy at the time.



As much as I want it to be molars I'm not sure teeth cause gas? However, when brushing his teeth, I noticed blood on the toothbrush. Does he have infant gum disease or is this evidence of a tooth?

Usually when he has bad nights (which is often) he is still cheery and delightful during the day. This has not been the case this time. He was mostly a disaster all day Saturday. I could not leave his sight. He whined constantly and boycotted his stroller for the first time in 6 months.

Dyyyyyying. Does anyone have a PhD in baby problems? We need a sleep evaluation here and I am not about to hire one of those online sleep consultants since their qualifications include having read all of the sleep books once and I have read them all twice.

4 comments:

  1. Oh :( :( :( :( :( That sounds horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!! .........and like my email was poorly timed.
    I'm sorry Hil :/:/:/. I hope Benny (and you!) feel better soon!!!!!!!!!! That sounds really really hard :/:/:/ (but I love your last line! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! And your email was not poorly timed :) Others are allowed to relax even if I am not sleeping!

      Delete
  2. Oh no :( So sorry to hear you are having this issues. Hope he has a better night tonight!! Wish I could give advice or answer some of your questions but I really have no idea. Alidia had a couple spoonfuls of yogurt the other day after not having any for a while and she threw up like never before. Maybe it could be evil yogurt?? Although not sure how long it takes to kick it. Anyway, hope it gets better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least now we know what it was, pesky molars! Poor Alidia! Does she have a milk allergy or do you think she was just not used to dairy? Hope she recovered quickly!

      Delete