Monday, November 14, 2011

It is the future, where are the Dippin' Dots?


Recently our house has been blessed with two grandmas back to back. Every kid knows there is nothing greater in the world than a grandma but I had no idea I'd feel this way as an adult and about someone else's grandmas no less.
Sucking up to Oma

Sucking up to Grandma

I believe there is something to be learned from every veteran parent and I picked up a few tidbits from both visits just from watching Oma (G's mom) and Grandma (my mom) interact with the little man. Mostly I've learned little things: new soothing techniques or the words to songs that are not on the top 40 chart. B does still prefer Katy Perry to The Itsy Bitsy Spider but that's not the point.
"Ooo did you say Beyonce is releasing a cover of Old McDonald??"

One thing in particular struck me when observing the expert moms in action and it's caused a crisis of confidence in my own parenting. When B would fuss or show any degree of discontent, they both had an arsenal of things to try. They showed him a new toy, sang to him, picked him up, tickled him, etc. etc. What do I do in that circumstance? I whip out a boob. I didn't start out this way but over time I've learned that it calms him 100% of the time. But now I wonder, is this not the appropriate parental response? Am I fueling a lifetime of food issues?

There are three possibilities here:

1. Bennett is a very good baby that only cries when hungry. If this is the case, I am also a wonderful and attentive mother as I have learned my son's cues and how to meet his every need, or at least his only need.

2. A slightly more troubling possibility is that Bennett is an emotional eater. He actually has a wealth of needs and a range of different feelings but he likes to eat all of these feelings. If this is the case, he might have a lifetime of issues. I picture him as an adult showing up at the grocery store, full sweatsuit on, 1 AM, and buying out the freezer of Ben and Jerry's. (Will they still have Ben and Jerry's or will Dippin' Dots finally take hold as the ice cream of the future??)
Finally some truth in product labeling. (Thanks Kris and Meenu!)

3. The most troubling possibility is that I am actually the worst mom ever and I just try to silence my child by shoving something in his mouth so he can't cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment