In celebration of Bennett's first Thanksgiving, I decided to make a list of all the things about him for which I'm thankful.
-His existence. It is cheesy to say but I always knew for sure I wanted kids one day. I've wanted to be, or have, various things at various times (astronaut, ballerina, millionaire, veterinarian until I fainted watching a cat get its teeth cleaned) but the one constant was I wanted to be a mom and have a family. I realize babies don't come easily for some people so for that and so many other reasons I am thankful to have a son. I was interviewing for a scholarship in 6th grade (they lay the pressure on so early these days!) and the committee asked what I would do to make the world a better place. In the naive and idealistic stupor of youth, I said I wanted to be a really good parent because if everyone could do that it would solve so many problems. The committee informed me this wasn't a particularly ambitious response and I did not get the scholarship. When Bennett wins world fame for curing cancer, due to my stupendous parenting, I will write them a strongly worded letter.
-His health. I didn't blog about it but early on in my pregnancy we had some test results come back that indicated there was an elevated possibility that he had chromosomal abnormalities. We decided to have amnio done and waiting for those results was one of the most gut wrenching experiences of my life. I didn't sleep. I didn't even know this little person yet and imagining that he might not live more than a few hours past birth or that he would have lifelong health struggles was too much to bear. Sure, things can always happen but I'm thankful he was born healthy and that he is healthy today (possible childhood obesity issues withstanding).
-His smile. He wakes up happy every day, no.matter.what. This kid could teach the Dali Lama something about life with that philosophy. It doesn't matter what happened the night before. If he went peacefully to sleep after bedtime stories or screamed for an hour he wakes up the next day smiling and flashing his dimple. After his speaking tour of Tibet he can also be a guest judge on America's Next Top Model because he totally smiles with his eyes. Tyra would be proud.
-His fistpump. He is never ever ever still. He's been this way since he was a zygote (do not mean to step into any zygote=person law debates here, just employing comedic hyperbole). Just like The Situation, Bennett gets his little fist going when he's excited. Thankfully he usually does this when reading a good bedtime story rather than pouring shots although he does get just as excited about boobs as the ne'er do wells of the Jersey Shore.
-His sleeping face. Everyone says you'll love your baby the most when they're asleep. Admittedly it is often a hard fought and long sought after state that I am usually excited to witness, but it's also so cute and peaceful. It is the cutest and most peaceful when he's rounding out an 8 hour stretch like RIGHT NOW. What am I doing awake? Well, this kid isn't packing his own suitcase and I'm not packing it for him before I've had coffee.
-His family. Ah, this is a fitting end to my emotional and caffeine fueled list as we are about to jet off for a family holiday. I guess this is an unfair exploitation of my list about Bennett since his family is basically my family but I am thankful for them all. I love that G's side (technically his family and my in-laws) feel like my own family and I can't wait for B to formally meet them all. I'm thankful that we get to spend Christmas with my brother and sis-in-law before they jet off to Africa. I'm thankful my mom loves him so much she is willing to come out to a snowy red state just to be around him. I'm thankful that he has 5 doting grandparents with insatiable appetites for picture texts and updates. I wish someone cared that much when I rolled over or successfully used my fingers to grasp an item and shove it in my mouth. Finally, I'm thankful for his wonderful dad who, even after a stressful day, has the energy left to do a dramatic reading of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and rock his son to sleep.
Happy Thanksgiving Benny!



No comments:
Post a Comment