Tuesday, July 24, 2012

World's shortest emotional roller coaster

So I am leaving this weekend for my first trip away from B. There are many emotions involved with that but this post is about something else.

In order to go on this trip I had to locate a suitcase. Since I haven't been able to travel lightly for some reason lately, I haven't used a carry-on sized suitcase for quite some time. When I finally found my carry-on (and by this I mean convinced my mom to let me have her suitcase back that I think is mine) I noticed the outside pocket hadn't been emptied.

I was hoping to find cash or candy but was instead surprised to find diapers. Tiny tiny newborn diapers. I realized the last time I used this suitcase was when I checked into the hospital to give birth. I pictured how tiny B must have been to fit in those itsy bitsy pants and teared up. The flood of what-happened-to-my-baby emotions hit me strong and I was crying.

Photographic evidence he once fit in those.

Thankfully there was still more to be discovered in that suitcase pocket. Next I pulled out a white sports bra. But wait, what was that substance on it? Ah yes, blood! Memory of the pain returned and my emotions stabilized quickly.

I tucked the diapers away in my dresser for safe keeping and promptly threw the nasty bra away. I then realized that this is a metaphor for what my brain is doing right now. Nature is making me romanticize and hold onto the sweet memories and efficiently dispose of the rest so I will consider doing this again.

1 comment:

  1. Aww it is crazy to think how tiny they once were. I was going through Alidia's newborn box the other day to find a couple things for a friend and it is crazy to think she was ever that small... actually smaller since none of her clothes fit when she was born. Ugg, they grow up too quickly!! :( Best of luck for your first trip away. You will both do just fine, I am sure (although I can't talk because I haven't gone there yet and am scared for when I have to!).

    ReplyDelete