Monday, July 2, 2012

Gas log

Several people have commented on the nature of B's wake ups, suggesting that perhaps he is having tummy troubles. While sometimes he wakes up just to nurse/because he can't put himself back to sleep, other times he wakes up and has a really hard time. He can't seem to settle and cries and squirms and arches his back. Sometimes it just takes nice juicy burp and then he can drift back into dreamland.

(I think this post and this blog will likely get lost in the horrible mess of the Internet someday. However, B, if it is the future and you are now running for president and they are reading this entry on the news, I am so so sorry.)

So the suggestion by others is that perhaps he has some sort of a food intolerance/allergy/some foods are just too much for him right now and cause him issues. He had some problems early on when he was just breastfed and I would consume large amounts of dairy (namely pints of Ben and Jerry's). So maybe it's the copious amounts of cheese he eats? I'm not convinced there is really anything there but for his comfort and my nighttime peace it seems worth at least investigating.

I'm not putting him on some insane vegan and gluten free diet or anything I'm just tackling it like any other anal mom would do. I'm making a spreadsheet! For each day I'll enter what he ate and then how he did at night.

The other possibility that has been brought to my attention is that he might have silent reflux. He has a good number but not all of the symptoms. Anyone know anything about this?? After some spreadsheeting and further suffering we are going to go see a real doctor for a second opinion, don't worry. 

Column A: Mom's margarita Column B: slept like an angel (kidding!!!)

2 comments:

  1. My bet is on a food intolerance. The spreadsheet will narrow it down for you, and in order to get results you actually do need to be rather anal about it. For my youngest, within 48 hours of my giving up wheat, he was sooooo much better.The top five suspects for food intolerances are gluten, dairy, corn, soy, and nuts. I know because I had to give up all five of them the entire time I was nursing him. Hopefully it will just be one thing for you. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I can't believe you gave all of those things up. What is left to eat!? B's doctor thinks it might be reflux so we are trying meds for that first. I'm hoping that's the problem and we don't both have to eliminate any tasty treats!

      Delete