Since I found out I was having a boy I made it my personal mission to make sure he had rhythm. Given that I never want him to date this doesn't really make much sense but I still feel it's important. I religiously played hip-hop to B when he was in the womb and continue to do so to this day. So far I think it's working as he can clap and dance to any beat. Despite the fact that I conditioned him young to have good taste and scrupulously avoided children's music for the first 10 months of his life, he has recently been exposed to this unfortunate musical genre due to music class. They gave us a CD of all the songs we sing in class and I made the mistake of putting it on while we were in the car. Maybe mistake is the wrong word since it completely settled him down and he loved it but I fear the slippery slope.
 |
| Yes, it has come to this. |
|
|
|
|
I'm no musician so I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about music that makes it kid music, but whatever that special sauce is it is intoxicating to children and intolerable to adults. Thankfully, someone was smart enough to try to bridge this gap. The brilliant people at Kidz Bop (yes it's spelled with a 'z', try to withhold judgment) have come to parents' rescue. They have copious albums of all the top 40 songs that you want to listen to but covered by some mildly annoying kid group. Don't expect it to sound like Flo Rida but it won't be as bad as Raffi. Although B doesn't understand the vast majority of what I say (I think?) I will have to be more careful singing along some day. Luckily they make brilliant modifications to make the lyrics friendly to kids. Instead of taking girls home to score a home run, you take them out to have so much fun. Instead of popping bottles of champagne, you pop bottles of shampoo! I look forward to the day B asks a girl out for the first time and he suggests they go out to dance and wash their hair.
 |
| "Hey I heard you like the wild ones. Ooooooooo." |
No comments:
Post a Comment