-Is this stupid at this point? Are we making backward progress?
-Will he actually sleep any better snuggled up with me?
-Is it possible he could sleep worse??
-Let's cut to the chase here: will I sleep any better?
-Is this even possible in a queen size bed with a king size baby and a king size husband?
-Will he still nap in his crib or am I ruining that by sleeping with him at night?
-How old will he be before I stop having those moments of terror where I wake up in the middle of the night thinking I'm smothering him? (We co-slept off and on for maybe a month and I still have this...)
-Does Marcus (B's monkey/binky frankenstein creature) need to share the bed with us as well or is one sleep crutch (me) enough?
| Who wouldn't want to snuggle that gut? The monkey on the other hand... |
All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!

Hey girl, just my opinion but at this point, it can't hurt, can it? Chase started out in his crib everynight but without fail would wake and scream at some point. I'd get up half awake, pick him up, and plop him in our bed. The minute his head hit my pillow (yes, he slept on a pillow under the covers and survived) he was back asleep. We of course have a king size bed. :-) He'd sleep in the middle between the two of us. He would still nap in his crib for 3 hours in the afternoon. So that wasn't an issue. Chase was a bad sleeper as well. He had to be swaddled until he was 6 months old. He was addicted to his paci. Yes, Chase's lovey would come to bed with us as well. All that to say, he turned out great and is a great sleeper now. He goes to bed at 7:30pm and sleeps until 6:45am. Not bad! My one piece of advice is to just be consistant. There are so many ideas, methods, etc..out there. Kids need and want consistancy even at an early age. It may not seem like something is working but give it time (probably longer that you think). So hard when you are going through it. Chase would spend nights in his swing because it was the only way he'd sleep. I remember laying in bed praying the batteries would go dead. Hang in there! You are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteNot sure about the answers to any of your questions. A few of my friends co-slept and they put their cot (crib) up against their bed with one side off and having the mattress as close to the height of their own bed. Thought it might be a way of sharing without the squashing!! Most people that co-sleep end up doing it until their child is about 1 or 2. As to whether it will work and he will sleep better is something only time will tell.
ReplyDeleteSonny has always been a bad sleeper and there have been times of improvement but at nearly three he's going through a stage of coming into our bed two or three times a night! I wish I had a magic cure but alas I don't I have managed to produce one amazing sleeper and one not so good!!
I would do whatever works. What I did with mine was start her off for the night in her crib but if she woke up I would just take her to bed with me. For us that worked and she would sleep. It didn't last forever. Eventually it became less often that she would wake up and come to our bed and nowadays most of the time she sleeps in her crib just fine. It was right around your son's age that we were really at our wit's end and then we hit a good stride for a few months until it finally got totally better around 13 months. I promise, it will end eventually. Oh, and we also started to just let her have a bottle in her crib once she could hold it herself. I know not recommended but it worked and helped to keep her in their a whole night. We did one bottle around 2am for a few months but that was pretty welcome after months of madness.
ReplyDeleteYou won't smother him. It took me forever to allow myself to turn my back on her while she slept with us but I did and she is still alive and well. The only thing I did was turn my pillow the long way so that she had an empty spot between my husband and I. Oh, and we have a queen bed, too. It's big enough. A king would be nice but it's do-able.
I would give it a shot. You won't ruin him. Besides, if you are going crazy now why not give it a shot.
I just wanted to say that he is the most adorable socks on in that picture! So cute!
ReplyDeleteThank you SO much all of you!!! I really appreciate all of the advice. I also appreciate hearing things like do what is best for you so I can remind myself that every kid is different and not obsess over what all the books tell me. I co-slept with B for part of our trip this past weekend and I felt amazing and well rested in the morning. No idea if that's the cause but I'm going to see how he does now that we're back home and if I'm still up 4 times a night he is coming with me to the big bed! Stay tuned for my post in 6 months about not being able to get him to go back in his crib...
ReplyDelete