Thursday, March 15, 2012

Why didn't anyone tell me??

So I've finally embraced co-sleeping, or at least our version of it. B still goes to bed in his crib but then when he inevitably wakes up around midnight, rather than zombieing back and forth between rooms and trying to hold my head up in a rocking chair while I feed him, I just whisk him away to the paradise of his parents' bed.

He's still on a newborn feeding schedule so no changes there but he needs way fewer binky runs. Maybe I am doing it in my sleep and have no idea or maybe my soothing maternal presence is better than any stupid monkey anyways. Either way, I don't care! I'm sleeping and it feels fantastic! As I sit here typing this, I am awake and B is still sleeping. Why?? Because I felt well rested enough to get out of bed. I might even get a little crazy and try staying up until 9. Glorious days are here! I really wish one of you had made me do this sooner.

If this blog were a really boring movie (Hello Hollywood producers! Call me anytime!) the music would change and we would now cut to a scene of me a few months later lamenting all the downsides of co-sleeping. I think I have a pretty good idea of what they'll be but allow me my joy while it lasts, please.

Thanks to my fancy monitor, I can simply pan the camera and check the breathing status of the entire family!

All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

8 comments:

  1. So I'm no mom (and have no idea about this whole co-sleeping thing). But didn't people do this all the time back in the old days (or poorer countries) because everyone slept in one room / bed? And I bet they all turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's been the way of things much longer than cribs have and still is the norm in most of the world.

      Delete
  2. Norah always starts off in her bed and somehow finds herself in ours half through the night most nights. It isn't all that pleasant for me though as she attacks my face, kicks me and pushes me off the bed haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be careful it doesn't turn to this in a few months: http://crappypictures.com/2011/06/what-it-is-like-to-not-sleep-at-night-illustrated-with-crappy-pictures.html

    We went through a phase where Drew would join us in between between 4-5am. At that time of night (morning?) he could no longer be convinced to sleep in his crib and this was all that resulted in more sleep for all. It worked great for awhile...until it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a glimpse into my future... Thanks for that link, I'm now obsessed with that blog!

      Delete
  4. Mama of nine here, and I'm a big time advocate of co-sleeping! I co-slept with all of mine. No regrets whatsoever. I always got a full night of sleep and was well rested in the morning. My babies slept right next to me from birth. They eventually all transitioned into their own bed at the toddler/preschool age. I know, I know...most mothers out there would scream NO WAY! at that. But hey, it works for me. I personally like the closeness and security that I feel while sleeping next to my babies. If you think about it, us humans are the only mammals who choose not to sleep next to our young. We invented cribs. The rest of them keep their babies close to their bodies while sleeping. Instinctively. For protection, mostly. But also...doesn't it feel good and secure to those little ones? to be next to the one they love and depend on most in the world? I think it's no different for human babies...which is why they always seem to sleep so much better when in our arms or while lying next to us in our beds :)

    Katrina
    They All Call Me Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing stories like yours! I think it makes so much sense for moms and babies both!! I'm not even thinking about transitioning him yet and I figure I'll just worry about that when it's a problem. You are my hero for doing it with NINE kids!!

      Delete