Thursday, March 22, 2012

We are a PB&J

Co-sleeping is still great. I especially love that I barely have to wake up to attend to my kid. If someone told you that they suddenly discovered a way that you could do your job with only 15% consciousness, you would be excited too. It's not all for me though, I'm still a mom which means I'm a martyr. There are all sorts of reasons why co-sleeping is great for B too! Recently a friend asked me about co-sleeping. "Is that normal/healthy?" he asked. After I died laughing and made a note to appreciate that he was saying what everyone else is thinking, I mentally drafted a soapboxy post about all the benefits of snuggling your baby all night long.

This is not that post. Co-sleeping has many benefits and I'm working on listing them (as well as downsides, I am the fair and balanced Fox News of mommy blogs!) Most of these benefits, however, manifest themselves in the long term. In the short term, co-sleeping is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I have a bed rail on my side of the bed to prevent B from rolling off. The bed rail is a slice of bread. It is soft and slightly bendable but still unwavering. It holds the rest of the sandwich firmly in place.

B comes next. He is the peanut butter (lucky!). He is, after all, the main attraction of the sandwich. He is squishable and mashable but still maintains his general shape despite any counter-pressure. He sometimes cozies up against the bed rail (bread) but remains relatively undisturbed when this occurs. Mostly he snuggles up against me.

"I get to be the peanut butter!!!"


G is on the far side and is the other slice of bread. He also stays in place and serves to hold together our little sandwich. Just like the sad top slice of bread on your PB&J, he also absorbs the jelly. The top slice suffers a tad as the jelly melds with it making it soggy and mushy.

This brings us to me. I am the jelly. Sandwiched (haha) between the bread and the peanut butter I do not hold my shape. I am completely crushed into an almost imperceptibly flat yet delightfully sweet (if I do say so myself) layer. I cannot be separated from the peanut butter and am uncomfortably smashed into the bread. I lose all shape and completely conform to the layers on either side.

I have traded being able to sleep in a starfish pose for two hour chunks for being able to sleep. I'm happy with the arrangement.


All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment