I actually just enjoy this little ritual we have. Most of the time he wants to be moving, and playing, and getting into things and never wants to just lay around and snuggle. (Except when he's sleeping but I'm sleeping too so I don't count that towards my quota.) In order to be ready whenever the snuggledance need arises, I have a special iTunes playlist. It includes a lot of sappy country and even some Peter, Paul, & Mary (I point that out to act like I have varied music tastes but in fact my mom found the song). All of the songs on our playlist have one important thing in common. They make me cry.
It's chicken/egg at this point. Did I select particularly tear jerking music or do I now associate these songs with our dancing and therefore tear up? This is one of life's great questions. Remember When by Alan Jackson wins the award for weepiest song since it talks about the passage of time. (Then They Do by Trace Adkins is actually tied for first place but I've already talked about that song once.)
I hear other parents talk about this all the time as well. "Cherish these moments" they say, "he'll be grown before you know it!" Whenever people say this I get the impression that they have learned from some sort of mistake. They didn't cherish and then time passed them by and they want me to learn from their error. They make it seem like if only they had appreciated every moment then they wouldn't now be sad that those moments are gone.
So what does it mean for me that I am aware of time passing, I am constantly cherishing, and I literally sob while I dance around the kitchen with my quickly growing baby? I must be cherishing wrong if I keep crying at this stupid song. How do I do it better??
All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!

No you are not doing it wrong...Not only did I tear up all the while my kids were young...I am still tearing up as they are all grown. Everytime my sweet Skyler (23 yrs. old) hugs me I tear up! I think that something permanently affected my hormones when I gave birth to each child...
ReplyDelete