Sunday, April 1, 2012

The royal he

So I've realized that I have a very annoying habit. (Please now try to refrain from mentally cataloging all of my annoying habits in order to try to guess what I'm about to say next.) It seems that lately I am abusing pronouns. More specifically I use one particular pronoun, he, without an antecedent. Typically one specifies a proper noun and then once it is clear to who one is referring it is ok to use 'he'. I can say, "Bennett is a bad napper. He has trouble sleeping." If, however, we are discussing politics and I say, "He is going to be a Democrat," that makes no sense to you because you have no idea who "he" is in that sentence.

Apparently, unlike me, you all do not have B on your mind every second of every day and therefore are confused when I just throw the word "he" out there without first properly instantiating my pronoun. If I could now ask permission from everyone to just declare a standing antecedent? That wouldn't be a totally annoying mom thing to do at all, right?

All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

3 comments:

  1. How do we ENSURE democratic voting for life? Can you develop a post on that for my future kids too!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm going to pay attention to myself to see if I do this! I have no clue if I've developed this habit or not, I'm guessing I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your correct usage of antecedent...

    ReplyDelete