Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Do you work?

When G first moved out here I stayed in DC and we did the long distance thing. My two homes are very different places in a lot of ways. When you are in DC, people start a conversation by saying, "What do you do?" This is not meant to exclude stay-at-home moms it's just that when I lived there I was in my early-mid twenties and there were no stay-at-home moms that met that description. People there don't have kids until their 30's and fewer women stay home. Out here things are quite the opposite. So when I would visit G here people would ask, "Do you work?" At the time we were not living together, engaged, or married, we didn't even reside in the same city, and needless to say we had no kids so this question baffled me. No, G did not mail me checks so I could get manicures and massages and pay my rent in DC. Clearly no one actually thought that and they were merely making conversation the way people make conversation here but I was snotty and so I resented the implications of the question. I just wished they would ask, "What do you do?"

Well this past weekend I met some friends of a friend and after asking how I knew our mutual friend they said, "What do you do?" That was the first time since living (or visiting) here that anyone had uttered those words to me. I did a little hallelujah dance in my head and decided I liked these women. Then it dawned on me that I now didn't know how to answer that question. I stuttered and answered,



me: Oh. Nothing.

[Awkward silence]

me: Oh, I mean I just had a baby. So I guess I do that. I watch my baby.

Lady Who Thinks I'm Weird: Wow, you look good!

me: Oh, I mean not just. It's been a while, I should probably get a job.

[Clearly this is not the conversation she envisioned. Thankfully another friend of friend jumps in.]

2nd Lady Who Thinks I'm Weird: Well what were you doing before your baby?

me: I got my masters in statistics.

2LWTIW: Oh wow, I hate math.

me: Hmm yeah, most people do.

[Awkward silence]

me: Before that I was a computer programmer.

[Awkward silence while I realize people like to discuss this even less than math.]



At this point I am thinking, why didn't they just ask me, "Do you work???" This would have been so much easier. Crap, I've conformed.


All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

5 comments:

  1. This is so funny. And relevant. My boss's wife got asked that question "Do you work" by one of our clients and she got really pissed off. Yadda Yadda Yadda, they lost the contract .(not sure if that's why, but it sure didn't help).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary, I found your awesome blog on topmommyblogs.com. I have a great story for you has to do with yard sales. I couldn't find your contact info anywhere so sorry for spamming this post. My email is mike (at) treasurelistings (dot) com. Hope to talk with you. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to get offended when people asked me "if I worked". I have been a stay at-home and home schooling mom for a little over 12 years now. I know I work, and damn hard too. As does my husband. I just don't get a paycheck for it. Luckily my husband gets paid for what he does so we can keep our house, as we have all grown rather fond of having a roof over our heads. I have found that simply by mentioning the home schooling bit that people often get side tracked and then go off on their own tangent with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certain I would do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still laughing at this - as I can relate to the awkward silences that follow the computer programmer line. I am certain I disappointed the sweet, helpful sales associate this past weekend, who by the way, found me some fabulous jeans. Even all the way up here in the Great White North.

    ReplyDelete