![]() |
| source |
![]() |
| source |
The constant availability of the mother or an attached caregiver provides confidence and helps the child learn to trust himself, culminating in the child's developing independence.
The issue is that of parents' being responsive, not of baby's being in control. When a hungry or an upset baby cries, he cries to be fed or comforted, not to control. This concern is a carryover from the old spoiling and fear-of-manipulation mind-sets that didn't understand what babies are like.
A baby whose cries are not answered does not become a "good" baby (though he may become quiet); he does become a discouraged baby. He learns the one thing you don't want him to: that he can't communicate or trust his needs will be met.
With time you can gradually delay your response and gradually your baby will learn to accept waiting a little bit as she learns noncrying language and develops self-help mechanisms.
...the single most important influence on a child's intellectual development was the responsiveness of the mother to the cues of her baby.
All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!



I love dr. Sears. Also, I love you. I do not, however, love the hordes of people (some of whom i am related to) who like to inform me regularly that my child is "manipulating" me when he cries and that he needs to "learn to sleep alone" or "not fuss in his car seat." Here's an idea people, shut up!
ReplyDeletePs. I think I need a peanutbutterspoonfulls 12 step program. Have you tried the skippy natural with honey? Holy shit! Mmmmmmmm:)
Dr. Sears is the best! My copies of his books were all very dog eared before I (reluctantly) passed them on to a friend.:-)
ReplyDelete