Now that I respond myself responsible for a (kind of) small human I feel like I keep drifting more and more from "traditional" parenting and following my parenting instincts that I believe to have been honed over hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. I have good news though, I have at last found the hippie line that I am not willing to cross.
If you haven't yet seen the video of Alicia Silverstone pre-chewing her son's food for him and then spitting it right into his mouth, then I suggest you catch up on your celebrity gossip websites. There is no reason to watch the video now as I've given you the highlights. If you are like the people writing the gossip articles, you find this gross. If you are a prehistoric human, you find this unremarkable and normal. Just like babywearing, cosleeping, responding to baby's every cry, etc. this is the way our ancestors very likely parented for the majority of human history. It has even been shown to have many benefits for baby such as reducing their likelihood of developing autoimmune disease. Who knew, huh? In some ways I actually admire Cher, oh I mean Alicia, for doing this. Whatever works for your family right??
| 9 months of chewing, swallowing, and digesting B's food is all I can muster. |
All the facts on this topic are compelling, actually quite interesting, and I'm happy for Alicia and her son, Bear. Pre-chewing, however, is not for B and me. I fully admit that I have absolutely zero scientific or even practical reason to not do this. My reason is that I find it... icky. Friends and family, rejoice, you no longer need to worry about me strapping B onto my back with a bearskin and traipsing barefoot through the wilderness to reconnect with nature. This is the line of liberalness that I am not (yet?) going to cross.
All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!

No comments:
Post a Comment