Thursday, February 23, 2012

Contortionist and future problem solver

I promised myself that if B ever started sleeping well again I would view it as the exception and not the rule. I was determined to set my own expectations properly and to look at every good night as a gift rather than looking at the bad nights as torturous aberrations from a blissful norm. It took me roughly 3 good nights to get over that philosophy and get cocky. I figured that we had gotten through the so-called "4 month wakeful period", 3 and 4 month growth spurts, and B's first two teeth and that we were on the road to happy days.

He was actually pretty good last night... at first. I made one binky run at some point and fed him once. It's not that he didn't make a peep, the boy is a loud sleeper, but he never needed me otherwise. Then 4 am rolled around and I started to hear him babbling over the monitor. I kept my eyes closed and told myself he was talking in his sleep. After roughly 30 mins of this my curiosity got the best of me and I turned on the video screen on the monitor. All I could see was a shoulder and an arm sticking up straight in the air. He seemed happy enough so I should have gone back to sleep but NO my curiosity again won out and I walked into his room.

B had channeled his mysterious middle of the night crawling abilities to wedge himself firmly in the corner of his crib. He had twisted his body around so that his entire torso was lifted and his hand was in the air, and he was voraciously trying to chew his way through the vertical bars of his sleeping prison.

I've known for some time that teeth 3 and 4 were about to break through so the chewing itself didn't surprise me. What did, however, was B's resourcefulness. I've seen little plastic protector things to put on the horizontal rails of the crib as those are the obvious choice for teethers. Never have I seen such a product for the vertical bars though. Since B is still too young to pull himself up, he had to improvise. And improvise he did! The lack of a vertical bar protector on the market indicates that mine is the only baby brilliant enough to devise such a plan. (Cue several people emailing me links to just such a product and bursting my proud parental bubble.)

B can obviously tackle any challenge that comes his way. I'm thinking if Israel and Iran can just hold out another 30 years or so we'll send this boy over as a diplomat and he'll work out the whole mess.

After discovering this little scene of burgeoning brilliance, I stumbled to the kitchen for some coffee. It is there that I found evidence that B must have gotten his gift of ingenuity from yours truly.

Leftover from last night when I brilliantly realized that a high chair is the perfect portable drink table.

All you have to do to vote is click the banner! You can vote every day!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment